*SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE IMAGES AND PROCESS SHOTS
Original artwork, hand drawn and digitized for a group mountain unicycle meet up and ride event in Southern California. The event occurs around Halloween so I decided to create a Day of the Dead (Dîa de los Muertos) style skull featuring the California State flower, the poppy, and combine it with notable unicycles as the eyes, where the seat merge to the nose and then the prominent main unicycle puts unicycling on your brain, literally, and the chin is accented by a modified seat. All the elements are tied together using common Dîa de los Muertos accents and colors. This design was a hit with the community and placed on shirts, mugs, stickers, buttons, and posters.
The process explained, images below…
1) I had the idea for this design so I mocked up a rough sketch, initially, I thought not to have a chin and use 2018 as the teeth and the seat as the top jawline
2) I gathered some reference and started to use my existing vector art to begin the layout process
3) I had the overall design together, created an image and sent it off to myself in procreate to sketch while traveling
4) I decided on eat state flower and wanted to use the tradition of flowers in the eye sockets as a focal point accentuating the tire eyes.
5) The next series of images are the process photos taking the procreate sketch and digitizing to vector while modifying elements, adding and deleting some as well as choosing colors
6) Deciding on a type style for the event name was easier this go around. I decided between three styles, hand-drawn script, a more squared off font and the stylized one which I modified to the end result.
After cleaning all the artwork, the design then was set up for the printer for multiple uses but the main one would be t-shirts for the day of the ride.